I like cooking with honey. And I have a friend who has access to a genuine beehive. And once in a while he gives me a batch of pure American honey fresh from the hive. There is nothing comparable for creating a marvelous recipe. One of my favorite is honey roasted chicken. It's one meal I never tired of. Normally I serve the dish over yellow rice. But this time around I served it with farfalle (bow tie noodles).
HONEY ROASTED CHICKEN
1 3 to 3 1/2 pounds fryer roaster, with giblets
8 whole black peppercorns
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1/2 lemon, cut into thin rings
1/2 cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 360 degrees F.
2. Wash chicken under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Place in a large bowl.
3. Put peppercorns, salt and oregano in a mortar and pound until crushed.
4. Sprinkle the chicken with the olive oil. Rub the chicken, inside and out, with the seasoning. Stuff the cavity with the lemon and garlic cloves. With kitchen string, tie together the lower parts of the drumsticks to enclose the cavity.5. Place chicken, breast side down, in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes.
6. Brush the chicken all over with the honey, scatter the neck, gizzard and liver around it; and roast, breast side up, till golden brown and crisp, about 45 minutes (an instant read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thighs should read 165 degrees).
Yield: 4 to 6 servings.